Okay, I'm not one to toot my own horn, BUT this has to be one of the best things I've ever eaten, let alone come up with. The photo does it no justice. If you've ever eaten bison/buffalo meat, you will appreciate this recipe by just reading the ingredients... if you haven't tried bison/buffalo meat yet, you are in for a treat. Bison is so much leaner than beef, AND tastes even yummier in my opinion. According to an article on Livestrong.com, "a 3 oz. serving of beef sirloin contains 12 grams of fat, while 3 oz. of bison sirloin contains just 5 grams. Beef sirloin is also higher in saturated fat, with 5 grams, compared to 2 grams of saturated fat in bison sirloin." Pretty impressive, huh? Ground bison can be found at your local Whole Foods Market (or other high end grocery), and even some basic grocery stores - just ask your butcher! I made Garlicky Spaghetti Squash on the side, and it was a perfect meal. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!!
- 1.5 lbs. ground buffalo (bison)
- 15 oz. of Rao's Marinara Sauce (or your favorite marinara/spaghetti sauce)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - use 1 pepper, deseed and finely chop - about 1 tbsp.
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese (Buffalo mozzarella if you feel like spending the $!), cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese, for topping
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine the buffalo meat, half of the marinara sauce, eggs, Panko crumbs, chipotle pepper, onion, basil, salt, and black pepper. Mix well. Divide the mixture into thirds. Spread 1/3 in the bottom of an ungreased 9x5" loaf pan. Place half of the mozzarella slices on top. Repeat layers, and end with the meat. Bake for 30 minutes. Spread the rest of the sauce on the buffaloaf. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and add parmesan to top. Bake for 5 minutes more. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!